10 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Business Credit Card
BY: Sam Huntington
As remote work and online purchasing remain integral to normal business operations, so, too, have credit cards become an increasingly important part of business payment practices. Business credit cards have taken major steps forward in functionality and ease of use in the last few years. Make sure you are getting the full benefit from your credit card program by considering the following tips.
- Download the CardValet App: CardValet is a great application that allows authorized users to turn the credit card on and off, define spending limits, and even limit where the card can be used. Download the CardValet app and gain control over your business credit card from the convenience of your mobile device.
- Know Your Rewards Program: A spending reward program is the least you can ask for from your credit card program. But not all reward programs are equal. At SBCP, we use uChoose Rewards to allow our business cardholders to earn points and choose from literally millions of items of rewards, including cash back. As a business owner, you can decide whether each card accrues points separately or you can elect to have them roll into one master account.
- Business and Personal: Keep Them Separate: Avoid major headaches at tax time by only using your business card for business expenses and your personal cards for personal expenses. (I’m talking to you, sole proprietors.) Accurately classifying expenses is easy and cost effective.
- Customize Your Card with Your Company’s Logo: Did you know you can design the front of your credit card? Even better, we’ll help. Creating a custom card design gives you the opportunity to expand your marketing efforts by showcasing your business to anyone who accepts your card. Having a unique card design also helps you quickly identify the right card in your wallet when you’re at the checkout counter. Here are some card designs we recently created for our business clients:
- Set Up Automatic Payments: Setting up your card account for auto payments is a great way to make sure you always pay on time. You can choose whether you want to pay the entire balance or the minimum payment, and you’re assured of making every payment right on the due date.
- Easily Monitor Employee Spending: In addition to online access for each individual cardholder, credit card accounts with multiple cardholders can be set up to have an authorized user view every cardholder’s spending to catch any mistakes when they happen.
- Review Current Cardholders and Credit Limits: Make sure to consider who needs a credit card when onboarding new employees and as job responsibilities change. Remember cancel the credit card when employees leave the organization by adding this to an H.R. checklist. At least once a year, review a list of all cardholders, their contact information and spending limits, and ensure your master credit limit is where you need it to be.
- Set Up Touch-Free Payments: Use the latest mobile wallet payment methods like Apple Pay, Visa Checkout, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay. Touch-free payments add a degree of safety and allow you to pay quickly and conveniently at checkout in stores, online, and for in-app purchases.
- Upload Transactions to Your Accounting System: No need to manually enter your purchase transactions to accounting software, because our card system allows you to create and send transaction in your choice of file formats, including Quicken, QuickBooks, Microsoft Money, and a standard comma separated value (.csv) file.
- Read Up on Your Credit Card Benefits: Credit cards have all kinds of perks, but you need to know what they are and how to use them. Reading the fine print in your credit card agreement is not only a cure for insomnia, but you might uncover some great benefits you never knew about.